According to Dr. Konstantinos Farsalinos, flavours play a crucial role in tobacco harm reduction, especially in nicotine vaping products (also called e-cigarettes or electronic nicotine delivery systems). Why?
- Flavours create a pleasant experience for smokers, which encourages them to switch to vaping (reducing or quitting smoking).
- Flavours help prevent smokers from relapsing to cigarette smoking.
So what effect would the banning of flavours have?
- The demand for flavoured liquids would remain, so black markets for flavours would thrive.
- There would be no control over the quality of products, and black-market products could harm users.
- It would disincentivise vaping, inadvertently incentivising smoking (in youth and adults).
Interested? Watch the webinar: